Re: [Amps] 200-ohm tank and "un-un" in HF amp design?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 200-ohm tank and "un-un" in HF amp design?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 02:31:49 -0700

Just to clarify, I used 1.6 for "K", which in Ian's spreadsheet is in the middle of the range for AB:

Single 8877
4KV
625mA
60% efficiency
"K" factor of 1.6
 = 4000 ohms plate load impedance.

Jim W7RY: You're correct about the EP dropping some under load, of course. My transformer is 3KV 2A CCS, (admittedly overkill for this example) filter is 32uF, only enough bleeder current for safety. 4KV seemed like a comfortable estimate, since the (unloaded) peak voltage will be around 4.2KV .

Vic: Thanks for the link regarding the constant current curves.
I most definitely will look into that, and may post back if I find something worthwhile.

To summarize, the consensus seems to be a simple PI with padding cap(s) switched into the low-Z end on 160 meters. Since in this case the main tank inductor(s) are a 3uH "transformer" inductor followed by a large square-wound 24uH roller, I'll actually need to switch in both additional L and C. I can get 5KV 10A Kilovac relays cheaply enough; even with wacky tuning and load SWR considerations those should do the job at the low-Z end.

Thanks es 73,
Jim N7CXI