Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: <k7fm@teleport.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:52:31 -0700
Hi Colin,
I agree that one shouldn't leave the unused segments of of a tank coil
completely floating, and I don't do that. As you suggest, I connect the
wiper on the bandswitch to the cold (antenna) end of the inductor so that
the switch shorts the unused segments. For esample, if operating 10m, the
15m tap is shorted by the wiper to the 160m tap at the far end of the coil.

Unfortunately, that isn't as good a fix to the flashover problem as one
might think. A flashover in a bandswitch usually occurs when one contact
arcs over to an adjacent contact, or when a contact arcs to a grounded metal
screw anchoring the wafer to the bandswitch shaft assembly. Even with
completely floating contacts, one would unlikely ever see a flashover
between non-adjacent contacts, such as the 160m-15m contacts in the example

Sticking with this example, assume a bandswitch which shorts the 160m end of
the coil to the 15m end. Assume also the 10m inductor is about 1 uH and the
rest of the inductor is about 20uH. Thus, in effect we have a transformer
with a step-up ratio of 20:1 with a shorted secondary, At 28MHz, the
inductive reactance of the shorted 20uH inductor coil is about 3500 ohms. At
this high reactance,  there isn't a lot of current flowing in the shorted
inductance. Thus shorting the 15m-160m contacts together doesn't have a huge
impact on the voltage developed between other contacts in the switch.

There is another problem, which can come from stray capacitance. At 28MHz,
stray capacitance of only 1-2pF can turn the shorted coil into a parallel
resonant LC circuit, and that can lead to further arcing problems. Thus,
shorting together the unused ends of the coil may be better than leaving
them completely floating, it's not a cure-all for bandswitch arcing.
73,
Jim W8ZR