Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:05:07 +0000
   Most relays are not constructed of materials suitable for RF. Plastic rather
than ceramic is an example. They use a leaf spring material that can handle
current just fine at 60HZ or DC but it has a higher resistance than copper. And
since the current doesn't flow thru the entire cross section, only on the few
microns of skin depth the RF resistance is much higher. To get the gap needed
you would need open frame relays, which take up a lot of space. I have had one
surplus relay bandswitched amplifier which used the open frame relays that used
to be used as ladder line antennas switching relays. But it was a very large
box with a pair of 813s in it.

73
Bill wa4lav