Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?

To: "'Leigh Turner'" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?
From: "Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 09:55:55 -0800
I clearly do not fit the criteria of " savvy hands-on experimentally
inclined" but I have built two SS Amps and used them exclusively at my
contest station (8P5A) for the last two years.  I have tried off and on over
the years to build one, and have bought a commercial version, but none of
them were satisfactory.

I don't claim to be an expert, buy I do have some empirical observations.

1.  The LDMOS parts are a huge step forward.  The prior parts, typically
needing matched pairs or quads were far more fragile and, failing one is
failing two (or four).  This was expensive, frustrating and frequent.  As
improved as the LDMOS part are, they are far from indestructible and no
match for tube reliability.  The 65:1 SWR spec does not apply to CW where
far more modest mismatches will destroy the parts nearly instantly.  I have
had one of the 1.25KW parts fail on me.

2. A key to reliability is headroom.  The closer you are to their rated
limits the more delicate they are.  I am running two 1.25KW parts at 1KW
(total) out.  I believe it has helped reliability, but efficiency goes way
down when you run that far below max output.  That means more heat

3. The good news is that you do not need a matching network.  The bad news
is you do not have a matching network.  Output varies quite a bit as the
load impedance changes and you can't do anything about it.  My solution is
to flatten the SWR of all my antennas so I can switch between them without
seeing big excursions in the output power.  The worst my amps will see is
1.5:1 and most of the operating occurs below 1.3:1.  Manufacturers will
disagree, but I think if your SWR exceeds 1.5:1, you should use a tuner.

4. The filter has been a bigger challenge than the RF module.  I have had
multiple cap failures early on.  Some have been due to other design issues,
RF in the selection logic etc..  I have not had a cap failure this year, but
I really do not know how much headroom I have since the specs for RF current
are sparse.  Another reason to minimize the mismatch at the output of the
amp.  Also, I concur with the comment that a diplexer is a must.  The third
harmonic is only about 10-11 dB down.  It is good to know where that power
is going.

5. The splitter/combiners have been simple and reliable.

6.  IMD is not good.  There may be clever feedback schemes to help with
this, but it is over my head.  My RF modules have been purchased as pallets.
I do not think these parts are optimized for linearity and they are nowhere
near as good as tubes.  Generally the IMD is better at lower output.  I
really am hoping that some clever "predistortion" algorithms will find their
way into the SDR radios to offset some of the deficiencies of these parts

7. Heat removal is manageable for CW and SSB.  I have not tried RTTY, but
there is a lot of heat in a very small area so it needs serious heat
conduction and airflow.  If I were to build one for home use, I would try
water cooling.   Some of the pallets now come mounted on heat spreaders
milled for water flow.

8. While energy is still energy, it is a lot easier to work with the cover
off when there is no 3500V exposed.  That said, it is still dangerous if you
are not careful

9. If all these limitation exist, why bother?  It is simply too convenient
to ignore.  In 48 hour contesting, efficiency is very important and it is
game changing to operate with what feels like a KW radio.  This implies that
the amp filtering will follow the radio.  This is a must.  IF the amp does
not have automatic band selection, you will blow it up some day, protection
circuitry notwithstanding.

10.  No doubt solid state is the future and, in a very controlled situation,
can be made to work well under demanding circumstances.  However, will they
be as reliable and as linear as tubes for a wide range of load mismatches,
high duty cycles and operator errors?  Not today

Like I said, I am speaking as an integrator, not as a designer.  Many of the
shortcomings can be improved with better designs, but the underlying
technology still has its limits.

73, Tom W2SC