Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 02:44:20 -0500
Again, I don't think so. These new devices don't need much in the way of protection, just something to limit the drive and monitor temp. A built in SWR meter would be handy, but not a necessity.

IOW, these are not the equivalent of the early SS amps like the quadra. They can take a lot of abuse with fairly simple circuits

It's not just the devices that cost less, the entire circuit costs less and is more robust. When will we see them in commercial ham amps? They have the potential of dropping the amp cost to the point of them becoming a commodity and the manufacturers won't want that.

A couple of 2.4 KW PP amps into a combiner could produce a very clean legal limit, or even a 3 KW output that is still quite clean. 4800 run at 2400 could produce excellent IM numbers. 3KW LP filter kits are quite reasonable as are the combiners. Add the predistortion and the signals are outstanding. OTOH look for some really hefty power supplies.

In the end you could have a 4.8 KW amp for less than the price of many legal limit tube amps. Like tube amps, how they are used will determine the results. How many will run the 4800 W capable amp at the legal limit, or hold it at 2400? How many will go for the whole 4800? Like the station on 6 that had a horrible signal stronger than a ham a few miles away from me. He wanted power and could care less as to what it sounded like. He just blamed poor receivers.

The new devices lend themselves to more simple circuits. The LP filters can be keyed by the exciter.
External auto tuners are available

73

Roger (K8RI)