Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?

To: "'Manfred Mornhinweg'" <manfred@ludens.cl>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps and auto-tune. Is it even necessary?
From: "Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 16:37:53 -0800
Manfred

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.  They triggered some ideas for my
next version and very valuable.

I will defer the questions on feedback and IMD improvement to someone with
more design experience.  I am hardly disagreeing, and would surely love to
some of these techniques actually implemented and deployed.

The diplexer argument is an interesting one.  The position that the third
harmonic energy is so high is aided by the fact that it is seeing a good
impedance match at this frequency is an interesting one.  If it saw a big
mismatch, typical of a LPF, then maybe less power would be transferred at
those frequencies.  That may be true, but it also might not.  In fact it
could be worse.  The output transformer, LPF and antenna would have to be
well modeled to understand this at all frequencies.  That said, it is very
valid point to consider.

However, my design point is contesting so the tradeoff of reliability over
efficiency is one that I am willing to make.  The diplexer makes the
performance much more predictable.

I agree with the need to monitor between the amp modules and the combiner
for a bunch of reasons.  These are key measurements for the protection
circuitry.  The Diplexer helps a lot here as well.   Having the harmonics
reflected back from the LPF instead of sunk, creates a lot of variability in
the reflected power measurement by band.  It is hard to tell the difference
between a mismatch on the primary or harmonic frequency.  With the diplexer,
I see almost no reflected power from the combiner/filter so it is easy to
detect small excursions from the norm as a sign something is wrong (or
getting hot).  As an aside, I spent hours with a commercial product dealing
with the fact that it was reporting a reflected power fault even though the
filters measured a perfect 1:1 SWR with my VNA.  It surely  was the
reflected power of the harmonics but it took me a long time to figure it
out.  The manufacturer was no help.  I eventually made a design change to
the monitoring circuit, which had already been changed from the published
schematic.

Overall, the points on the diplexer are well taken.  However, it allows an
integrator like me to control a bunch of variables and I still recommend it.
A different design point could certainly warrant the opposite approach

The area were we will have to differ is on the relative reliability of tubes
versus these LDMOS parts.  While nothing is indestructible under misuse, The
LDMOS are substantially more fragile than the tubes used in legal limit
amps.  Risk can be reduced by wrapping a lot of protection circuitry around
the transistor pair, but I have yet to see this be sufficiently robust or
fast enough to be as reliable as a tube under fault conditions.  It may be
theoretically possible to close the gap with better design, but none of the
products on the market today have demonstrably proved capable of reaching
this level.  I remain unconvinced on this point, but would welcome being
proven wrong with actual user data.

My summary, based on observation alone,  is that if  the LDMOS part is kept
cool, sees a stable well matched load, and is not overdriven, it can work
reliably forever.  However, excursions from these controlled conditions put
you on a much  faster slope to failure than a tube amp.

One last anecdote.  Every contest I have to put up some temporary antennas
for the low bands.  I always power test them with the tube amps before using
the antennas with the SS amps.

As I said, I am not a designer like Manfred.  I defer to him on design
possibilities and value his suggestions.  My post was a summary of my
observations and possible tradeoffs for someone trying to integrate parts
that are generally available to hams.

Tom