Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:37:48 -0600
I completely agree with WA3JPY.  You who want this all-inclusive,
let's all have a warm fuzzy because we all have ham tickets, ham radio
take note:

In Part 97, the FCC _requires_ licensees, who are the recipients of
_grants_ to continue to advance the radio art, by improvement of
communications _and_ technical skills.  Your license is a GRANT, in
the way a scholarship is a grant.  You are supposed to IMPROVE.

No, you don't get to blow off the technical stuff and play with some
toys if you want to be a legitimate grant holder.

If you want to sit back and run a ham shack "entertainment center,"
you should get another hobby.

I also am a slow learner and have found acquiring the ability to build
and troubleshoot quite difficult.  This hobby can be a lot of hard
work.  Many times I have been tempted to give up in anger and
frustration.  But then, you fix something or build something and it
works, even if it is only a power supply, and you feel like you shot a
hole in one.

People who promote the idea that, oh, it's okay to just sit there and
use some black boxes and memorize answers to test questions to be a
CBer ham, are NOT doing the hobby any favors. That attitude is
harmful!

Ham Radio and CB are largely the same thing now because of this.

Part 97 - Rules of the Amateur Radio Service

Title 47: Telecommunication – Updated September 2014

PART 97—AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

Subpart A—General Provisions

§97.1   Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an
amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the
following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to
the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service,
particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules
which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and
technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio
service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

Converting an AF67 to controlled carrier:  I'd start by getting
schematics for the AF67 and a controlled carrier rig like the DX60 and
comparing them.

but, the AF67 is high level plate modulated so the change over might
be more trouble than it's worth.  I for one, do not understand why
you'd want to take this on.  I'd run the AF67 stock because to most
operators, a constant carrier is more desirable.  If the mod. iron is
blown in the AF67, then that might explain your project.

If you are trying to have an exciter for an RF amplifier, it would
make more sense to beef up the amplifier to handle the continuous
carrier duty cycle than it would to modify the exciter.  You can't go
wrong with an improved amplifier.

73

Rob
K5UJ