Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dBRule

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dBRule
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:55:39 -0800
On Wed,12/28/2016 4:26 PM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
just the freedom to buy what you want to use?

It has NOTHING to do with freedom. One of the FCC's functions is to establish the rules of the road for radio and other communications mediums, and their function is much like establishing rules of the road for our highways. Speed limits and no passing zones are not restrictions on our freedoms, they are practical rules that make it safer for citizens.

The 15 dB rule was established at the height of the CB radio boom, and was part of an attempt to deal with illegal operation using ham gear. It may have outlived its usefulness, and it the petition to change it is timely. But ALL amplifier manufacturers have been subject to it and designed their products to conform. SPE chose to ignore it, and those who have sold these amps in the US are in violation of Federal law.

My personal opinion is that the ham community would be better served by allowing commercially made amplifiers to have more gain _IF_ FCC Rules were also amended to tighten IMD and keying bandwidth limits on transmitted signals and enforced on manufacturers who sell rigs that don't meet those Rules. 20 dB would allow a 10W radio like a KX3 or ANAN 10e to drive a 1kW amp to full power. 21 dB gets it to 1.25 kW, less than 1 dB below legal limit.

73, Jim K9YC