Re: [Amps] Entry level license

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Entry level license
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:49:44 -0400
Jim,
You forgot to include W8YX and how the club learned from each other.
73
Don
N8DE
W8FNI de W8QHW

Quoting Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>:

That is often the result of how the class is taught. This winter, I sat
in as an observer accompanying my wife in a Technician study class. The
instructor was a degreed EE and retired from work as a design engineer.
I was quite disappointed to see that he taught only formulas, with no
explanations of the concepts behind the formulas. My advice to him
afterwards was to slow down his coverage of these very important
fundamentals (Ohm's Law, Power, dB, frequency and wavelength, etc.),
devoting twice as much time to them and "telling the story" of each
concept.  After class and at home, I attempted to fill in the missing
stuff, but she was so discouraged by his presentation that she
abandoned her pursuit of the license.

To put this in perspective, she's a Ph.D in a biological field, and has
no background in physics of any sort. The concepts were quite alien to
her. And her only interest in the license was for emergency
communications in our mountain community that has no cell service, not
enough motivation to cause her to persevere.  :)

My background is a BSEE, 5 years teaching at DeVry in Chicago, and 40
years in engineering, mostly as a systems engineer. I learned radio and
electronics from the ARRL Handbook, .the Novice study guide, and the
older hams in my hometown radio club.

73, Jim K9YC