Re: [Amps] Entry level license

To: dezrat@outlook.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Entry level license
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 20:47:01 +0200 (CEST)
The FCC could perhaps take note of the Swedish example of "no-test" HF and VHF
access.

Currently, anyone that pays the equivalent of $30 and signs a statement that
they will use the transmitter for "fixed or land-mobile radio experiments" will
receive a permit valid for 6 months for the use of 4 USB channel frequencies
the 5 MHz band with 100 W. There are no tests or qualifications required of any
kind.

If the applicant is a previously licenced radio amateur the ordinary call may
be used, but those without amateur licences are allocated a land-mobile
callsign. What the frequencies are used for is not monitored in any way, and
all traffic so far has been of ordinary amateur radio content. Also,there are
land mobile frequencies in the 69 and 155 MHz bands set aside for licence-free
operations with up to 25 W ERP allowed power.

The reasons behind these quite strange actions are that the regulator had been
repeatedly petitioned to allow amateur radio operations in the 5 and 70 MHz
ranges, but have declined, stating the reasons that there already is enough
amateur radio spectrum available, and official policy is to decline any further
expansions.

However, fixed and land mobile radio has underutilised spectrum in the HF and
lower VHF bands, so it can be allocated on a national basis for "unlicenced
use".

This practice of allowing completely unqualified individuals to actually BUY
access to the HF spectrum is in clear violation of the
ITU Radio Regulations,and this has repeatedly been pointed out for the lawyers
at the regulator PTS.

They however defend themselves using the argument that the ITU-RR lacks legal
force due to the current legal  interpretation of the Law of Electronic
Communication.

In my opinion, it has created a potentially dangerous legal precedent, that may
be used for successfully repealing the certification or licencing requirements
for amateur radio operations. It may also serve as a precedent for lowering the
allowed power levels for amateur radio from the current 1000 W transmitter
output to around 50 W.

Nothing stands in the way (except the ITU-RR) of the FCC or other regulators to
to do something similar, requiring those that want HF and VHF access without
any tests or qualifications just pay a suitable fee with no further questions
asked.

The spectrum required for this "CB 2.0" could come from the amateur radio bands
on a footnote basis.

"Be carefuĺ of what you wish for, you may get it..."

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM