Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics

To: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <afrugoli@verizon.net>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:20:49 -0400
Al,
You (and WN0L) are not quite correct.

In his example, if the other station logged him as KN0L, WN0L will
get credit for the QSO.  If the call is off by one character, but
otherwise is correct in the log, only the receiving station is
penalized.  The sending station gets full credit.

If the other station logged him as NW0L, then they both lose credit,
as 2 characters were miscopied.

In reality, there's no way to be certain the other guy logs you
correctly.  For example:
KE1FO: CQ TEST DE KE1FO
DL1XXX: DL1XXX
KE1FO: DL1XXX 59905
DL1XXX: TU 59914
KE1FO: TU QRZ

Note that you never hear your own callsign.  For all you know, DL1XXX
logged you as KE1FM or KE1PM.  If FM, you're fine.  If PM, you lose.
In both cases XXX loses.

Bottom line, the number of miscopied calls by the other guy should be
pretty much the same for everyone using computer sent CW.  So, it is
equally unfair to all, and doesn't affect relative score rankings.

Bottom line #2 - if you're not sure YOU copied the call correctly,
ask for a repeat or don't log it.

73,
Barry W2UP