Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:31:16 -0800
At 04:16 AM 11/2/2005, Eric Hilding wrote:

>Whoever came up with the "official" list must have been a
>golfer.

To the best of my recollection, it was the ICAO, the International
Civil Aeronautics Organization, which originally created the
phonetics. Their intent was to provide phonetics which could be
easily recognized by non-native English speaking people. It was later
adopted by NATO and the FAA in the US. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

Your suggestion to use "Germany" instead of "golf" makes me wonder. I
always thought that "Germany" was the English name for the country
and the real name was actually Deutschland. Is that correct? What do
non-native English speaking people call it?

73, Bill W6WRT