Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:37:45 -0600
The issue at Atlanta Hartsfield is twofold:  Delta can refer to both the
airline and the taxiway, so it is not misunderstanding the phonetic of "D",
but what is meant by "D".  The other issue is that many pilots for other
airlines dislike using the term "Delta" for any reason at all, and will say:
Dog, Dixie, Dam Yankee, Duck, anything but "Delta".

Yeah, until I retired I was one of those airline pilots who would not speak
the word "Delta" unless I simply had to refer to that airline specifically.
Oh, well, I guess we all grow up eventually.

73,
Rusty, na5tr