Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: "N5IET Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:21:50 -0600
> The ICAO phonetics are fine, and the reason you had
trouble
> with using "Golf" is because whoever you were working
doesn't
> know the standard.

Not "ICAO" its "ITU" PHONETICS
Not "Golf" its "Gulf"

Because everybody has a Gulf but not everybody knows about
Golf.

Unless of course you live in Ireland which is the original
home of the game Golf, although no one there knows how to
play anymore.

 73 fer nw,
Bob N5IET

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

Bob
> Naumann - W5OV
> Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:55 AM
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
>

> Eric,
>
> Standardization is the key, and we don't need to
re-invent
> the wheel here.
>
> The ICAO phonetics are fine, and the reason you had
trouble
> with using "Golf" is because whoever you were working
doesn't
> know the standard.
>
> There's no reason that you can't use something different
if
> you're having trouble with getting the standard phonetic

> across due to QRM, QRN, QSB, etc.
>

> None of them could be mistaken for any other phonetic -
> presuming you are hearing well enough to know what is
being said.

> But please, let's continue to use the ICAO standard, and

> educate people what the standard is.
>
> 73,
>
> Bob W5OV
>
> Reference:
>
> http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/FSS/fss1401.htm

a lot
> of contesters. Whoever came up with the "official" list
must
> have been a golfer.  "Golf" simply sucks...I found this
out
> during Field Day with our local club (W6GGF).  After
wayyyy
> too many people NOT getting the callsign correctly, I
> reverted to the time-proven use of "GERMANY" from my old

> DXing days, and had no further problems.
>
> Here's a concept...
>
> Why don't WE as contesters come up with a UCP (list of
> "Universal CONTESTER
> Phonetics") that can solve most of the problems?
Contest
> Sponsors can publish them along with their event rules.
>
> Yes, more than one syllable phonetics will slow down an
> exchange, but much less, IMHO, than the wasted time
asking
> for multiple repeats.
>
> One person reported a problem with "Mike".  I don't
think I
> have ever heard anyone have a problem with "MEXICO"...or

> DENMARK...or AMERICA, etc.
>
> WE have an opportunity to improve things...if WE want
to.

> Regardless of any changes, after reflecting on last
weekend's
> CQ WW SSB, I think *some* "DX" SSB ops need to
slowwwwwwwww
> down their verbalization of
> ***ANY*** phonetics if they want to be understood
(especially