Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:58:24 -0800
The ATC environment is very different from the ham environment.  Being
channelized, they don't suffer much from QRM and SNR is usually pretty
good so it's just a matter of distinguishing between sound-alike
letters.  Alpha and Delta in this environment sound quite different.

Now move to the contest environment where a couple of little pistols are
trying to make a Q where the SNR is only a couple of dB.  Alpha and
Delta both sound like "mumble-uh" and you simply cannot distinguish
between them, now matter how clear the enunciation.  So, you can lose
the Q or, if the sending op understands the problem and says "America
Denmark" you can make the Q which may be a double mult.  I've done this
hundreds of times, as has most everyone else.  I don't understand why a
contester would willingly throw away makeable Qs in deference to a
standard which was designed for a different environment.

Here's another one.  When I first got back into contesting in 2000 I
could never figure out the prefix for the Papa Shanky 4 guys so I missed
out on a bunch of Qs.  When they started saying Papa Yellow 4 it became
clear that they had problems saying Yankee.  Similarly, a number of JAs
have problems with the English pronunciation of some of the phonetics.
Even with a 20 dB SNR it can be pretty tough to make out who they are.

So, yes, in the ATC and similar environments, standardized phonetics are
a good thing.  In the Ham environment one standard phonetic alphabet
will lower your contest scores.  Why would you want to do that?

73, Jim   VE7FO