[CQ-Contest] Indian Reservations Was: Re: Counting DC as aMultiplier and

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Indian Reservations Was: Re: Counting DC as aMultiplier and Not as Part ofMaryland.
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:06:05 -0700
     Why not have a W/VE contest fashioned like a state QSO Party where in the
"in state" stations are those located on any of the U.S. Indian
Reservations or Canadian Indian Reserves (which would provide up to 900
potential multipliers) and the "out of state" stations would be those not
located on the reserves or reservations (providing the usual "50 states
plus some number of provinces, territories, and districts" multipliers)?
Such a contest would promote all sorts of educational opportunities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reservation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_reservations_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reserve

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 11:51:16AM -0400, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> The NAQP rules are what they are and there is no need to change
> them or to make DC a multiplier.  If DC were made a multiplier,
> the same logic would need to be extended to every other self-
> governing entity including Indian Reservations, etc.
>
> DC is recognized for Maryland credit in the WAS program (it's not
> WAS + DC).
>
> DC is not a "country" for DXCC purposes - therefore the comparison
> to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands is not appropriate.
>
> > Now is the time for justice to be served by NCJ contest managers
> > moving in a positive direction to right this wrong!
>
> This is no more a "wrong" than the arbitrary multipliers in many
> other contests.  It is a historical fact of life that should be
> maintained for tradition and not changed on a whim.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com