Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not as Partof Maryland.

To: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not as Partof Maryland.
From: Steve Hanlon <asciibaron@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 19:50:47 -0400
as a long time Maryland resident (born in Baltimore), i would support
the creation of a new multiplier.  DC could have just as easily been
lumped into Virginia - that state took it's promised parcel back (what
is now Alexandria).  the Maryland/DC ARRL section is fine for league
business and need not be a fast and hard rule for setting up mults in
contests.

knowing Eric, i think he is looking to add to the competition given the
challenges that face residents of the District.  one can not easily put
up large antennas and therefore is by default handicapped.  who cares
about a weak signal station in DC when you can work much louder stations
with bigger antennas in MD?

there is no incentive for Eric or any of the other residents of DC to
get on the air for a contest if the competition is the whole of
Maryland.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Eric or the others in DC
don't have big signals, but they can never compete with the larger
stations in the same categories in Maryland.  I applaud those that do
operate from DC given the handicap they have to deal with in terms of
limited station space.

Eric, when does the WA3FET OWA beam for 40m arrive and where the heck
are you gonna put it ;)

-Steve, WM3O - a proponent of DC as an NAQP mult.