Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:13:37 EDT

In a message dated 3/17/2008 2:00:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
w4tv@subich.com writes:

Equipment without an operator is not a "station."  Similarly, an
operator without equipment is not a "station"  When the rules say
that all parts of the station must be within a 500 meter circle,
that  should include the operator.

---------------------------

A car without a driver is still a car.

Lots of sharp engineering students around the country have been doing a lot
of work competing to see which group can get a car to drive like a car,
without  a driver, or even a remote human controlling the car.

I was on the CAC around 1980 when the 500 meter rule was instituted by the
ARRL.  The concern was that people with remote receivers - read people  with
military connections who could dial up a remote receiver in Germany to  hear
those 40 watt Europeans calling on 80 meters - would have a huge edge not
available to amateurs without such access.  Remote control operation of an
entire
station was never imagined at that time.

I agree that any remote operation should not be a violation of the laws  of
the physical site's country.

The only real abuse that I can imagine would be if people set up stations
that only worked the owner or the owner's friends.  Rather like the  "captive
rover" problem translated to the HF DX contest world.

Meanwhile, I appreciated the six meter contact I had with K3LR in the VHF  SS
- with Tim operating his station in EN91 from his home a thousand miles away
in Oklahoma.

73   -   Jim    K8MR