Re: [CQ-Contest] CHECKLOGS -- another view CQWW-wise

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CHECKLOGS -- another view CQWW-wise
From: Mike N1TA <n1tangoalpha@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 01:43:54 -0500
Hi Jack (et al),

> So, perhaps contest sponsors can entice more logs by some simple steps.
> For example, there's many people, even "serious contesters", who can
> sometimes only work, or only want to play, for a few hours this weekend.
> What if contests' score reports always included one or more time-limited
> categories, e.g., maybe "Two Hour" and "Eight Hour" rankings?

Agreed! And although this isn't an issue specifically related to check
logs, I've been wondering about this for at least ten years now. It seems
that all it takes to be QRO is the money to buy an amplifier, all it takes
to get louder is money to buy a bigger antenna, but money can't buy
longevity. The real difference between a serious effort and a casual one is
the time in the chair. Along these lines, maybe we should see a time-based
category (or even an overlay).

Again, this would be a discussion for another thread (and its been chewed
over before to no real end), since implementing this would increase the
scored log submission and - if anything - decrease the check log
submissions. Maybe an experimental category is in our future?

K0RF once told me the great conundrum of contesting: when you're young, you
have the enthusiasm but you don't have the money; when you're old you have
the money but not the enthusiasm. Hihi

--
Mike DeChristopher, N1TA