Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 01:08:51 -0400
I believe a more accurate term for what Dave opposes is "Any contiguous 24",
rather than "best 24 out of 48".

The other alternative is "Any 24", which allows the op to choose whichever
24 hours he/she wishes to operate. Note that off-times must have a minimum
duration, usually 30 or 60 minutes, to make this format work.

There are arguments for and against both formats:

Contiguous-24

Pro: Requires the operator to demonstrate knowledge of propagation on all
bands and/or antenna-building expertise that includes all 6 contest bands.
It also forces low band activity, which helps to offset the worry that a
24-hour category will hurt low-band participation. It also requires
significant stamina, albeit much less than a 40+ hour effort.

Con: Requires operating for 24 hours straight, effectively an "all-nighter",
which gets us back to the endurance and health issues. It's less friendly in
terms of allowing operators to schedule their time to both participate in
the contest and do other things over the weekend, like run errands, do
chores, watch/attend ball games and spend time with the family -- especially
on holiday weekends.

Any-24

Pro: Requires strategy to optimize operating hours. Allows for plenty of
rest and sleep, and is schedule and family friendly -- no more fighting over
Thanksgiving and Memorial Day weekend.

Con: Allows the op to "cherry-pick" the hours, operating only when the rate
is high. This could hurt low-band participation.

A variation on Any-24 that offsets the impact on low band participation is
to require a minimum number of operating hours between 0000z and 0900z, or
to award extra points for low-band contacts like WPX. There could be all
sorts of variations designed to spread out the operating time and bands.

We already have experience with both of these formats:

- IARU is a "Contiguous-24" contest, though you can't choose which 24. It
starts at the beginning of the high-rate openings between US and EU, which
would probably be a popular choice for start time if we had a Contiguous-24
category. IARU requires that you have a good understanding of propagation on
all the bands and have effective antennas on them. It also requires the
ability to pull an all-nighter.

- ARRL Sweepstakes is an "Any-24" contest. Off times must be at least 30
minutes. It requires strategy to choose your operating times so that you can
capture mults from all parts of the US and Canada. Mults count only once,
not once per band. Normally that would eliminate the incentive to operate
the low bands, but the need to work stations that are usually in the
high-band skip zones forces you to operate on the low bands.

- WPX is an "Any-36" contest with double points for low-band contacts.
Off-times must be at least 60 minutes. It requires strategy to choose your
off-times and decide when and where to work non-US for points and when to
work US for mults. Mults count only once, not once per band. So while the
double points ensure you must work 40, you don't necessarily have to work
160, 80 (in the CW contest), 10 or 15 (in low sunspot years).

With some creativity, I think it would be possible to craft rules for
24-hour categories in CQ WW and ARRL DX that would make them both
challenging and enjoyable.

73, Dick WC1M