Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to VE Contesters

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to VE Contesters
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:26:33 -0800
Hi Jim,

Of course the West coast isn't going to come close to the East coast in a DX
contest. Europe is the hotbed of activity, has many multipliers and it is
open to the East coast much much much longer than to the West coast. There
is no comparison. But that has nothing to do with the original letter to
which I responded, which was about the advantage of the larger VE phone
bands.

As to where I live, I choose to live in Los Angeles. The rules of a contest
had nothing to do with my choice to live in Los Angeles. That was a choice
due to the weather and the Dodgers (I'm a born in Brooklyn Dodgers fan.)

I chose to build a station in PEI because of it being about as far East as
you can get in North America, my QTH is not far from the ocean, the dirt is
red because there is a lot of iron in it so it makes for a good ground, the
phone bands are larger, English is spoken (I have no ear for foreign
languages,) PEI used to be a fairly rare province (in the '90s I went twice
with a group to Mexico for ARRL DX CW and never worked PEI once. That was
before VY2ZM and I built our stations) and I can get there in 12 hours door
to door if I am very lucky. By the way, traveling to a station that far away
can be difficult. It took 30 hours for ARRL CW due to flight cancellations.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT