Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:57:06 +0000
Rudy N2WQ said
So why would a contest encourage participants not to develop new skills and
techniques? Is there any other sport that says "It's OK if you don't want to
get better, we will create a category for you. No worries, mate". This is what
this debate about assisted vs unassisted vs so2r etc is all about.

Huh?

I do not use assistance, but I strive to get better, such as pushing running
rates higher, better transmit antennas, better receiving antennas, knowing and
taking advantage of the strengths of my station.

Wanting to be single op and unassisted has nothing to do with “don’t want to
get better”.

I personally have no interest in RBN, skimmer, spotting, etc.  I find the
“packet pileups” annoying in the sense that with a kW and stacked yagis I
sometimes have trouble getting through quickly.

RBN and skimmer, well they are cute technologies, but for me nothing more than
that and for the most part uninteresting to me.

For me it is radios, amplifiers, antennas and me.

And logging software, and electricity, a lot of coax, indoor plumbing instead
of an outhouse, heat and food of course, keyboard and headphones in the water
closet so I can keep operating when um.. well.. you know. I’m not totally
behind the times here.

So if a contest sponsor tells me, you must use/implement RBN, N1MM+, skimmer,
audio recordings, a short log deadline that serves no real purpose, or
whatever, etc, forget it count me out.

Mark KD4D – pro golf makes you walk too, no carts allowed, think about that,
range finders and carts, square grooves, more than 14 clubs, etc. for an
”assisted” category in pro golf. All simple technologies. Can you see that
happening? No I can’t either.

73 Scott W2LC