Re: [CQ-Contest] SO Categories

To: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO Categories
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:13:31 +0000
I've said much on this topic but I want to ask a few questions to those on
the "merge" side.

The motivation to merge seems to be that SO unassisted has people who cheat
and use unclaimed assistance. This is the established consensus.

- Those who currently participate as assisted, you're not being affected by
those who cheat, except maybe when it comes to WRTC qualification (I'll get
to that). So why are you concerned about cheaters who can't beat you? It is
clear that many in the unassisted category see a few cheaters as the cost
of doing business, and as Bob pointed out they get beaten anyway.

- Those who currently participate as assisted, you are being affected. So
why not compete with assisted who won't be using unclaimed assistance
anyway? This would free you from the burden of unclaimed assistance
cheaters while leaving the category open for us who operate unassisted for
whatever reason.

- WRTC qualification. Two things.
1. If a cheater is in a separate geographical location and qualifying area,
would it affect you?

2. Why should WRTC qualification not be on a level playing field anyway? I
am of the opinion that qualifying for WRTC has become a game of who has the
most money for the biggest stacks and kilowatts of power instead of
qualifying just the most skilled competitors. Maybe we should even it up a
little. Have one to two qualifying events per year, make it during the IARU
contest and maybe another like WAEDC for Europe and NAQP North America and
something else for other regions. Allow assistance to eliminate the
prospect of assistance cheating. Require it to be one radio, a single
multiband yagi and 100 watts. Presto - level playing field.

I'm not dismissing the fact that there is cheating - there is. But I am
puzzled why we have to use a sledge hammer to kill a fruit fly and why
people who aren't affected want to eliminate the unassisted category.

Ria
N2RJ