[CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 1:39:35 +0000
Martin N4UU said: "I also think that next big step would be real time log
checking. We are all hooked to the internet why not"?

Martin please don't get me started! Sorry too late. Why not? Well my local
provider got bought out and now they are throttling back speed, with high speed
costing extra. And now they have data limits unless you are willing to pay more
$$ for that too. Then add in the inconsistent connection. Service goes out
sometimes from minutes to hours.

If I was 2 houses more down the road, I would not have cable service at all.
I'm next to last on the line. FIOS pffft, I'm too far out in the country for
them. The shortest route to me is about 3 miles for about 15-20 houses.  The
only reason they ran cable was because a town board member lives out my way.

I suppose satellite may be an option, I haven't looked into that. Then perhaps
my cell phone, but I am in a bit of a dead spot so that won't work. I have to
sit in my bedroom by the window to make a call. Down stairs in the radio room?
No way down there, the cell phone is useless.

>From what I understand Europe enjoys high speed internet almost everywhere, in
>the US about 20-25% of households do not have access to cable or fiber from
>what I just read.

So honestly if the new provider gets too carried away with higher cost and
slower speed, I will cancel my internet service, and that will be the end of
that. I'm not poor or anything, but I don't use internet spots, RBN, etc. so I
have no need or desire for internet when it comes to contesting.

73 Scott W2LC