Re: [CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 19:42:51 -0700
I'm with you, Scott.

Martin N4UU said: "I also think that next big step would be real time log checking.
We are all hooked to the internet why not"?

Sorry, but we are NOT all hooked up to the internet from some locations where we contest, and even from home, some of us have internet that is slow and/or erratic. W6JTI wins contests QRP from an isolated mountaintop in Northern California where he has no internet (and no cell service). I have no cell service at home. Hundreds of my neighbors have no cell service at home. My internet (Comcast) experiences repeated random dropouts at all times. During a recent storm, Comcast, telco, and PG&E were all down for three days.

Some contesters have been having a good time with real time scoreboards, and I think they should be encouraged. But to make it a requirement is unreasonable.

73, Jim K9YC