Re: [CQ-Contest] Alligators and lids

To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alligators and lids
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:13:14 -0500
I notice this more on 160 than on any other band.  A DX station is operating
split and several US stations call repeatedly.  They continue calling while the
DX station is transmitting and this happens repeatedly.  With some, endlessly.

Now I am not talking about people that make mistakes by occasionally calling
out of turn, or started sending their call and then the DX station transmitted,
or, because of the qrm/qrn continue to call because they hear some of their
callsign letters and honestly think that the DX station came back to them
instead of someone else.  No, I am talking about the serial offenders who
operate this way as a defining trait.

I’m wondering, why continue calling when you obviously can’t copy the station
that you want to work?  What’s worse, is that they continually transmit on and
qrm the callers that DX station is trying to work.  This slows the rate down
and frustrates the DX station and  callers.

This is not only bad operating practice, it is also rude, wastes time and is
very selfish and spiteful.  This is not an occasional event either.  Examples
of what I describe take place daily on 160, and many are repeat offenders –
operating this way in almost every pileup.

And even worse is that there are those that can hear better, and when the DX
station comes to K2XXX and sends “K2XXX 599”, W3ZZZ sends his callsign twice
right on top of him.  The DX station then again sends “K2XXX 599”.  And again
W3ZZZ sends his callsign twice right on top of him.  This behavior is 100%
intentional.  W3ZZZ doesn’t care who the DX station is calling and he doesn’t
care that he is intentionally qrming K2XXX who clearly is trying to work the DX
station.  Nope.  W3ZZZ only cares about his own “wants” and everyone else be
darned.

There is no excuse for intentionally operating like this.  Ever.

Let’s give the DXpedition stations (and the resident DX stations) a break shall
we?  It is hard enough for them to spend a lot of time and money to travel to a
foreign country, transport equipment and set up a station, deal with the local
qrm/qrn on 160 and then have to be plagued with these kinds of poor behavior.
The least that we can do is clean up our operating practices and make it easier
for the DX operator to work us!

If you can’t hear then don’t call.  And if you can hear, then call only when
you are supposed to and, PLEASE, wait your turn.

73

Bob, KQ2M