Re: [CQ-Contest] Alligators

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alligators
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 10:50:11 -0700

Well, I agree that can be frustrating (TI1T comes to mind from this weekend) but I think there can be various reasons for it.  High local noise can be a factor, of course, but so can the use of omnidirectional transmit antennas and directional receive antennas.

Also, I easily worked W6OAT last night but I had a lot of trouble hearing other stations in the northwest even though they clearly heard me.  I never heard you, and if you called me I apologize for not hearing you.  My antenna is a 60 foot high Inverted-L, but I have a mountain range that rises 2,000 feet above me less than 2 miles away.  I can't think of any reason why receive should be so much different than transmit, but that certainly seemed the case to the northwest.  It wasn't like that in any other direction.  The majority of every Washington or Oregon station I worked was in the mud, many requiring multiple repeats, and I have a semi-rural QTH with typically low noise.  Two different Washington contest stations I worked told me I had a big signal up there, but they were barely Q5 here.

I do have a BOG, by the way, but it points northeast and was unusable anyway because of recent rain that cranked up the soil conductivity.

73,
Dave   AB7E