Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about category

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about category
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 00:27:01 +0000 (UTC)
As one who has perhaps written the book, or at least the NCJ articles, on
mobile contesting, I don't agree with counting a non-operating driver as an
operator.
In Florida, I do a single op, no driver entry. The basic rule: do most of the
operating while parked, typically shortly after entering a county, and do the
mop-up operating while driving. And the most important rule: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO
KEEP A LOG WHILE DRIVING!   Record the contest, or at least the driving part,
for later transcription. This works only in states without QSO numbers -
keeping track of them while driving is too much of a distraction to be
operating while driving.
In Ohio, we have no distinction between mobile single op or multi-op, and we
don't care who drives. Anyone who enters as a no-driver single op has to
understand that he is unlikely to be competitive vs. an op or ops with a
driver. And as a contest sponsor, I'd hate to have to explain in court why we
specifically provided for people to be driving while operating.
Pennsylvania considers a driver as an operator. So my XYL has qualified as a
contest op while driving across PA on the way to visit our daughter in NJ
during a PAQP weekend. But she still does not like driving.
But regardless of the rules, mobile contesting in the state QSO parties is a
blast. And speaking of Pennsylvania, I'll be out mobile on Saturday in the
PAQP, sharing driving and operating with Gary, AF8A.  Hope to work lots of you
then!

73  -  Jim  K8MR