Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Spots

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Spots
From: Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 03:18:35 +0000 (UTC)
First and last comment on the issue:
I don't like the spoofed spots any more than the next ham.
But you do all realize that the discord that this discussion has generated is
exactly the type of disruption that the miscreant(s) were hoping for?
The Contest Committee is aware of the problem.  Committee members have stated
that no one's entry will be penalized by the spoofed spots.  That should be the
end of it.
The nature of the spotting network means that this type of disruptive behavior
is possible... and no doubt, once the miscreants get wind of the current
fru-frau, will happen again.
So either we institute a massive, unpopular overhaul of the entire system...
which will only make it more difficult for the miscreants, I'm sure, sad to
say... or we learn to live with it.  The same way we live with carriers,
tuner-uppers, the-net-is-always-on-this-frequency-every-day-even-though-it
won't-start-for another-12-hours, and so forth.  We recognize that these are
the efforts of miscreants who for whatever reason wish to disrupt our contests,
ignore them, and move on.
Let's not tie ourselves up in knots over this.
73, ron w3wn