Re: [Karlnet] limiting bandwidth

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] limiting bandwidth
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:11:28 -0400
Eric Meth wrote:
You can set the upload rate limit on the transmitter. The download rate is
set by specifing the rate on the ethernet interface.

Hello,

Has anyone tried this recently? I am trying to set up an asymmetrical system where customers upload at a fraction of their download speed and so far to no avail. Setting a rate on the Ethernet will limit the customer's download speed, however specifying a rate on the 802.11b interface seems to set that rate for download AND upload. I have tested this just yesterday on 3.88, 4.02 and 4.31 versions. If my memory serves me correctly, it has however been possible in the past to independantly configure rates on the various interfaces.

Chris

-----Original Message----- From: karlnet-bounces@WISPNotes.com [mailto:karlnet-bounces@WISPNotes.com]On Behalf Of LaRoy McCann Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 4:58 PM To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com Subject: [Karlnet] limiting bandwidth

How do you limit a user to a certain bandwidth? The only setting I can find on the karlnet firmware is Max Tx Rate in Kbits / Sec. Actually this is a speedlan 8000 series box, but it uses the karlnet firmware.

If this sets only the Tx side, then you are only limiting the upload speed
and  not the download speed.  I want to limit the speed that a user
downloads data to their computer.

I know the connections are sold based on the speed that a user wants to pay
for, but just am not sure exactly how to limit that.

If the wireless link will not do that then what is everyone else doing to
limit a user to a certain bandwidth.

I guess I could setup a linux box and use iptables to limit each user.

Sorry if this issue has been beat to death before.

Thanks
LaRoy McCann