Re: [Karlnet] limiting bandwidth

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] limiting bandwidth
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:58:00 -0400
Eric Meth wrote:
Chris. In version 3.88 it worked properly, you could set the rates
individually. Since then, setting the MaxTxRate sets both. Asymmetrical does
not work. Karlnet suggests setting the transmit rate on the AccessPoint
(version 4.31) then setting the CPE. Unfortunately the WaveWireless Firmware
is still at 4.02 where independent setting do not work. Use this flaw to
your advantage, sell symmetrical service!!! If you want to limit upload, do
it with a MikroTik router at the point where your wireless heads to the
internet directly. (One man's solution) Regards, Eric

Hello,

This is what I thought. We have been selling symmetrical wireless for many years, only now are we making an "el-cheapo" service and are hitting this wall since we are for the first time attempting to implement it. We had tested this a very long time ago. I have an alternate solution using Cisco QoS methods, however it used to be much simpler when you could do both in the CPE (and cheaper in $$ and CPU on the router too).

Funny that I called Karlnet about this just yesterday after some testing. I assume they read this list? At least I am not the only user noticing this issue.

Chris