RE: [Karlnet] bandwidth management

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] bandwidth management
From: Thomas Giger TGC <thomas.giger@tgc.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:11:18 +0200
Kevin,

if you answer my question below, I'll answer yours :) The answer for you is:

Bandwidth management ought to be done before the traffic hits the segment
that you want to manage, i.e. on the outgoing interface. That is, if you
want to throttle both ways, bandwidth management should be on both devices,
each handling the packets being sent.

For TCP/IP (but not for UDP/IP and other protocols), though, you can get
away by limiting the incoming and outgoing data stream on one side only.
This is because (the connection-oriented) TCP adapts to the data rate at
which it can send packets without packet loss. With UDP and others that are
"unreliable", packets will be sent anyway and get lost if the BCU decides to
discard them. We've found that in practice, if UDP and other protocols
aren't used too much, bandwidth shaping works quite well if applied on one
device only ... this includes the situation where the shaping device is
further up in the backhaul and does its job for more than one base station.

Now on to my question for you, which is related:

Karlnet can limit bandwidth on each interface. Does this bandwidth
limitation work only on the outgoing data stream of the interface where it
is applied? If yes, asymmetric bandwidth limiting should be possible like in
this example for a CPE:

Ethernet Interface 2400 kbps
Wireless Interface 256 kpbs

... this should give 2500/250 "DSL-like" asymmetric behavior, at least for
TCP. If UDP should be taken care of as well, the same policy needs to be
implemented at the base station or further up in the backbone.

However, if Karlnet bandwidth throttling works on both incoming and outgoing
packets on each interface, the net result would be the lower of the settings
- 256 kpbs - which is not really what was intended. So I hope your answer
will be "yes" to the first interpretation ...

Kind regards,
--
true global communications GmbH
Thomas Giger