[WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] AA5AU RTTY Call file available

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] AA5AU RTTY Call file available
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:41:52 -0500
>From Don:
>The original master_rtty.dta file includes 18,992 calls.
>The new aa5au_rtty.dta file includes 20,753 calls.
>
>In the year 2001, I made a total of 11,669 RTTY contest QSO's (excluding
>dupes).

*but surely not all unique?!

and from Jerry:

> > Seriously, I wonder how many stations will work in a contest - maybe a
> > fourth or so? Which Contest would have the greatest participitation?
What
> > percentage for that one? Guesses?

A fourth of 20,000 would still be 5,000 - I don't think so.

and from Tom:
> check out www.qsl.net/dj3ng/  (hit go) then look for 'rtty contest
> participation' about half way down the page..  from the graph presented,
> it appears that the ARRL RU enjoys the most participants with about
> 675 followed closely by the WPX with about 650 and CQRJ with 525..

Please educate me - These don't seem to add up.  I thought we had a thread
last year about "How many RTTY contesters are there?", and I thought the
number was about 2500, although my memory might fail on that.  I don't
understand how there could possibly be 20,000 current/active RTTY
contesters, although 675 participants in the RU sounds a little small?  In
the last CQWWRTTY, I joked that a rtty.dta file could just be made from the
HC8N log - With their total, they surely worked EVERYbody?  HI

There must be a point of diminishing returns - a file with 20,000 calls must
include some that are almost always on another mode or rarely active?  73