Re: [RTTY] NCJ Sprint exchange hints???

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NCJ Sprint exchange hints???
From: "Richard Ferch" <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:44:36 -0400
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 at 03:44:47 -0700,
Bill Turner said:

> I might try the concept during a regular contest.  Usually I send
> <hiscall> QSL TU DE W7TI CQ, but QSL W7TI CQ might work better.
>
> I use CQ at the end instead of the more common QRZ? because it's
> shorter and makes more sense anyway.
>
> Comments?

Makes sense to me. Following this train of thought a bit further, maybe
there is a suggestion here for how to set up exchanges for other contests,
as follows:

If the Sprint exchanges are done "right", i.e. with a different order for
the CQing and the S&Ping station, the whole QSO process is quite elegant.
For example, from the time I tune onto a frequency until I leave it:

W2UP: ... (this is when I arrive) W2UP K (I know immediately that W2UP owns
the frequency)
someone else (it doesn't matter who because he's leaving): TU
me: VE3IAY K
W2UP: VE3IAY W2UP 251 BARRY PA K (if K6LL has already tuned in he knows that
the QSO is not over yet because there is no call sign at the end)
me: W2UP 11 RICH ON VE3IAY K (now Dave knows I own the frequency and can
decide whether to stick around)
W2UP: TU (and away - if I don't see this I don't log the QSO)
K6LL: K6LL K
me: K6LL VE3IAY 12 RICH ON K
K6LL: VE3IAY 201 DAVE AZ K6LL K
me: TU and spin the knob. Bill, just tuning in, knows that it's Dave's
frequency. In CW, it's even shorter because you can leave out the " K" at
the end of each buffer, and the "TU" is often replaced by just one or two
dits.

Note that the call sign at the end of the exchange indicates to everyone the
status of the QSO and who owns the frequency. If you make your running and
S&P exchanges the same, or if you put your call sign in the TU message, the
rhythm is lost. Another station just tuning in to the frequency and seeing a
call sign can't be sure whether that station owns the frequency. He will
have to wait until someone sends a CQ to be certain.

The application of this idea to regular contests is interesting. Because the
CQer stays around, I would argue that the optimal arrangement for the
running and S&Ping exchanges is directly the opposite from the Sprint.
Suppose, for example, that the rules for NAQP required both call signs to be
sent as part of the exchange. Then I would suggest that it should go like
this:

W7TI: QSL W7TI CQ
me: VE3IAY K
W7TI: VE3IAY BILL CA W7TI K
me: W7TI VE3IAY RICH ON K
W7TI: QSL W7TI CQ

That way, anyone tuning by knows that it's Bill's frequency regardless of
when they arrive.

With the NAQP rules as they are, this careful distinction between running
and S&Ping exchanges is unnecessary, but maybe the idea still has some
applicability. For example, if you program a repeat exchange buffer for
times when you are not sure the other station copied your call sign and/or
the exchange correctly, you could put your call sign at the end when you are
running, and at the beginning when you are S&Ping.

73,
Rich VE3IAY