Rig Interfacing (was: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!)

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Rig Interfacing (was: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!)
From: George Johnson <w1zt@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:20:03 -0400
I have been following these threads for a couple years now and it seems "we" have enough information to consolidate both the experiences and some engineering to be able to provide some direction when these situations arise.

Ian, John, Chen, et al are on the right track and each have pieces of the story. But not the whole story yet. I can shed a little light on each of the tracks here but I think I will "volunteer" to write up a more complete summary and picture of what might be happening. I am reviewing some of AA5AUs new work on his web site and maybe that is a good place to put some of this as was done with the USB information and the sound card information (tnx WA9ALS) in the past.

For this current thread, the quick and dirty "fix" for Kyle is either the direct resistor drive to the FSK line through the resistor or a single transistor inverter as John has suggested. There is no time for "elegance"... the contest approaches!! Whatever he chooses, Kyle needs to make sure that his resulting FSK output is not inverted and it needs to be checked before the contest. Chen is right on the money with the circuit analysis I certainly would like to capture the rest of that story.

Ian is somewhat on the right track. The devil in the "details" is that you can run the rigs through the CW keying line and the rig's own PTT will be internally actuated in most rigs. So that does not establish the your own PTT circuit is working (separately). Ian may have more info on this than in his recent post mentioned so I can't go much further with it. However, I do prefer the term "voltage offset" to describe the output of these keying transistor systems because darlington structures are not "saturated" and their output offset voltages are significantly higher than the single transistor structures. This applies whether driven by an optical diode for directly. This characteristic seems to be at play when one person succeeds with an opto isolator (single transistor) and another person does not (darlington output).

Optical devices must have significant "light output" to switch their output structures. These numbers are in the various spec sheets. The "current transfer ratio" is a good measure of it but Ian is quite correct in that something like 5 to 10 mA is needed to meet those specs. As Chen observed, the "wimpy" serial output ports might not do it for the newer computers. The darlingtons have a higher "current transfer ratio" so they "seem" better. But that offset voltage is the killer that seems to ruin their performance in the Yaesu rigs.

Chen is right on track with the circuit analysis of the FT990. I would also like to know if the open collector output of Kyle's interface pulls that FSK line down (by accident) and thus prevents the interface from actually switching. But Kyle needs success now, my engineering curiosity needs to wait.

The Yaesu rigs also seem very sensitive to this offset voltage on the PTT lines. That is why John has seen that bad behavior on the FT1000s. Most of those devices we discussed over the past couple years were darlington output devices and many did not have any success with them.

With all the words above, each of the rig manufacturers use different circuits, and may have changes in circuits between models. And there are differences in the CW, PTT, and FSK control circuits. So it is a matter of getting more complete information on what the "switch to ground" really needs to look like for each rig and input in order to make it work reliably. And these electronic switches we use need to match up with those requirements... and we know some schemes can't do it for particular rigs.

So I will volunteer to pull as much of this together as I can. I recall problems with Yaesu, and Ten Tec most recently and will add Icom and Kenwood to the matrix of radios that we use. As a start, any info any of you can send (direct email) about your interface that "works" would be appreciated. If you are so inclined and interested, any analysis you have done about the input to your radio as Chen has done would also help. I will talk with Don and see what we could do on the web page to capture this information and other data from this reflector archive as might help direct people in the future.

BTW, if this has already been done and I just don't know where it is, let me know. I have no ego in this and no desire to reinvent wheels. I just like to put engineering circuit analysis on these problems so they get solved and can be operated "unattended"... I used to design this stuff for satellite and space work and service calls were not an option... Hi Hi...

73, George .. W1ZT