Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!

To: John Fleming <john@wa9als.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:54:40 -0700

On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:36 PM, John Fleming wrote:

Kyle, if you're using a BUXCOMM interface that utilizes a 4N25 or similar
optoisolator, I'm not a bit surprised it won't key as expected. Do youself
a favor - Make a plug for your rig's FSK ACC connector with a wire coming
out for ground and FSK SHIFT. With the rig in RTTY mode, put it in transmit
manually and then short the wires together intermittently and see if you get
the expected tone shifts. If so, and I believe you will, then it proves the
4N25 interface will not key the Yaesu. It may appear to short using a VOM,
but it's actually not low enough to key the stubborn Yaesus. If it doesn't
key manually, then there's some other problem with the rig itself. Let us
know what happens. This has been documented somewhat by more than one of us
previously. Maybe W7AY would care to comment?

Hah, you'd read my mind, John. I had just 10 minutes ago sent Kyle a private email suggesting that he monitor the rig while grounding and ungrounding the SHIFT key in the 4-pin DIN connector (I assume the connector is the same one used on my FT-990 and FT-1000MP) to first make sure his rig is set up correctly. (Yeah, I did mention a dummy load, HI.)

I then mentioned to Kyle that a Darlington transistor would not be able to drive a Yaesu. I have no idea what a Buxcomm is, though. Does it use a optoisolator with a Darlington output? A normal optoisolator should work if you hit the LED with a large enough current, but probably not from the wimpy RS-232c signals.

73
Chen, W7AY