Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:08:43 +0100
Chen wrote:
Maybe W7AY would care to comment?

Hah, you'd read my mind, John. I had just 10 minutes ago sent Kyle a private email suggesting that he monitor the rig while grounding and ungrounding the SHIFT key in the 4-pin DIN connector (I assume the connector is the same one used on my FT-990 and FT-1000MP) to first make sure his rig is set up correctly. (Yeah, I did mention a dummy load, HI.)

I then mentioned to Kyle that a Darlington transistor would not be able to drive a Yaesu. I have no idea what a Buxcomm is, though. Does it use a optoisolator with a Darlington output? A normal optoisolator should work if you hit the LED with a large enough current, but probably not from the wimpy RS-232c signals.

Unless I missed something, it wasn't clear that Kyle had checked that the 920 will actually shift frequency when the FSK input is keyed manually.

The best way to check that would be to identify the opto-isolator that is connected to the FSK output, and simply short across pins 4 and 5 with a small screwdriver blade. If the rig shifts frequency, that will confirm everything downstream of the opto is working OK: the 920, the connectors, and the wiring.

My money is still on a wiring/connector fault.

To repeat a previous message, I've had no problems with two - no, make that three - different types of regular non-Darlington opto-isolators keying the PTT, CW and FSK inputs of an MP. It would be very surprising if the 920 required different levels, since all that generation of Yaesu HF rigs are re-using a lot of the same circuit technology.