Re: [RTTY]

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY]
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:40:15 -0800
On Dec 19, 2004, at 10:41 AM, K4SB wrote:
If you run FSK to an FSK input jack on your radio, it is impossible to
overdrive the radio or amp.

Ed is correct, as long as you control the keying rise times and fall times properly -- in the extreme cases these show up as key clicks even a kc or two away.

But other than that, I can't come up with a case where FSK can generate ghost images (in the same band as the main signal) like badly generated AFSK can. You can even drive an FSK signal into a class-C amp.

AFSK takes constant and careful monitoring. I think that all of us using AFSK have over-modulated at one time or other. I use AFSK myself, and always welcome a reminder.

73
Chen, W7AY