Re: [RTTY] EA Contest Rules

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] EA Contest Rules
From: "John Barber GW4SKA" <ska@bartg.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:30:12 +0100
Unique calls that show up in a contest log occur for many reasons, but most
are due to bad logging. These can usually be picked out by the log checker
and the contacts flagged as invalid.

Contest checking software has got very clever and can be used to spot
whether a contact is good or bad for all sorts of reasons. The decision to
DQ a contact is still down to the log checker and how he or she uses that
software. It would be ridiculous to automatically disqualify a perfectly
good contact because that was the only occurence of a call. Contest stations
in the more exotic locations will make many contacts with 'unique' calls;
these are perfectly valid QSOs with ops who may be after a new country on
RTTY and have no intention of making any other contact in the contest.

Bill is correct regarding checking of BARTG logs. No 'uniques' get excluded
automatically; they only go through manual intervention of the log checker.
This checking also shows up the tiny minority who might add a little extra
to their log ... a problem that was too common a few years ago but has
almost gone now!

73,
John GW4SKA
BARTG Contest Manager