Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:39:16 -0600
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:24, w6otc@garlic.com <w6otc@garlic.com> wrote:
> Reply:  CQWW RTTY, Sept. 2010, P49X (W0YK) claimed 5024 QSOs as SOAB HP.At
> 100+/hr for 48 hrs, seconds begin to look significant.

I still don't get why the issue of making your own macros as efficient
as possible is a controversial topic.  Why *wouldn't* you want to be
efficient?  As seen above, seconds mean QSOs and for some stations,
that's the whole point.  It is a contest, after all.

Even if you're not going to win (I'm not!), wouldn't common courtesy
dictate that you respect those who are and work to make your own QSOs
as efficient as possible?

In the case of adding a char to the end of your macros, these spaces
are not superfluous, they are critical to efficiently conveying your
message.  As noted, you can skip extra chars at the end, but then your
message doesn't get through as quickly many times.

I used to have a CR at the end of my macros until someone here pointed
out the fact that you are making the other operator "chase you" up the
screen.  Now they all have spaces (or should have).  I think three is
probably two too many, but I'll listen evidence that it's not.