Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:49:28 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:01:17 -0500, k.siwiak@ieee.org wrote:

>The ARRL proposal does nothing more than to remove the archaic and no longer
>relevant baud rate definitions of digital modes. They opted instead to propose
>regulating digital signals by a maximum BW, and chose 2.8 kHz to harmonize
>with
>the FCC/NTIA regulatikon already in effect for the 60m channels.

REPLY:

I guess what bothers some people is that digital signals wider than 2 kHz or
so are not really necessary. There are a number of digital modes which can
do fantastically well with very narrow bandwidths. Why not use them?

Like wideband FM, wideband digital should be restricted to higher
frequencies where bandwidth is not a problem.

73, Bill W6WRT