[RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: "rtty @ COL" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: "Thomas W4HM" <w4hm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:51:33 -0500
I have been operating the digital modes since 2003 and have been RTTY contesting since 2006. I am very active on most digital modes out there but spend most of my operating time on RTTY, JT65A, JT9 and MFSK16.

During that 11 year period I've had many dozens of digital mode QSO's wiped out by automatic and even manually operated PACTOR stations that transmit without listening first to see if the frequency is in use.

I find that style of operarting oppressive.

If the regulation by bandwidth with a maximum bandwidth of 2800 hz becomes the law of the land it will be a catatrophe for any ham operating any mode on
any band, victim of a rude, selfish PACTOR station operator.

PACTOR mode operators absolutely do not care about the QRM they cause to non PACTOR digital mode operators.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella W4HM
Lakeland, FL, USA
w4hm@tampabay.rr.com

W4HM Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org

I don't usually jump into this type of a discussion, but I think that
another point of view is in order.

I do not operate RTTY contests.  I enjoy an occasional RTTY QSO at low
power, usually less than 20 watts, for the joy of being able to do so.
I do, however, create digital mode software (fldigi), of which RTTY is
but one of many modes, including some of those wide band modes that some
of you you find so oppressive.

To be honest I find any operator who claims ownership to a frequency to
be oppressive, whether he or she be using SSB voice, AM voice, Pactor,
MT63-2000, MFSK-128, and yes even RTTY.  In my 56 years of amateur radio
I can attest to having many a CW QRP QSO disrupted by an overly avid
RTTY contester.  My 5 watt CW signal just cannot compete with the player
who is filling the RF with a legal limit amplifier.  Sure plays hell
with my receivers AGC.  So I've simply learned to watch TV during the
RTTY contests, unless I am testing a new decoder for fldigi.  Y'all
usually go away after the contest is over.  Don't discount my interest
in your favorite aspect of the hobby.  I've worked many many hours to
improve fldigi's RTTY contesting capability.

Nuff said.

Dave, W1HKJ
The New Jersey redneck living in North Alabama!

---
is active.