[RTTY] W1AW/x RTTY operations

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] W1AW/x RTTY operations
From: Bill <bmarx@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:55:58 -0400
Some things to ponder:

Our Club and specifically one of our members was the organizer of the Florida participation in February. The South Florida DX Association along with the Florida Contest Group and other independent operators all were coordinated by Pete N8PR.

So think of the totals needs...3 or more modes, 11 bands...for 7 days. 2, 3 or 4 hour segments on each mode. That's at least 500 hours to plan. You can't have 2 operating SSB in any given hour because that can be mayhem, and you want to keep all modes going for all hours if you can and also have the volunteers that want to do it during those hours. One may want CW, but is only available and home from work when a SSB slot is open.

There were months of planning and scheduling and things happen. Some want to be added and some drop out without a moments notice. Countless changes from operators all over the State.

You want as many to participate as possible, and while it would be great to only have contest experienced operators in each mode, it doesn't work that way as those guys aren't always available. It isn't a DXPedition with a group of dedicated operators with nothing else to do but ham radio for a week or whatever the plan is for. People have jobs, family and life experiences. Many work modes and bands they never have before as they are pressed into service. We had the good fortune to have some of the finest operators in the country, but not all slots can be filled with the best of the best.

There are inner communications of who is working where and when. There are constantly changing charts, spreadsheets and schedules. It is highly coordinated among the Team leaders in each state with ongoing ideas and thoughts. The ARRL and its teams I think are doing a terrific job in keeping it going and the worldwide participation has been amazing and fun.

Florida's totals were over 50,000 QSO's with over 50 operators involved.

So the next time you see an guy struggling with a pileup on any mode, tell him Thank You and politely suggest he/she work split. If they have the experience great, if they don't, they are getting it really fast.

We go again for another week in November. Good luck and fun to all who are celebrating 100th Anniversary of the ARRL.
Bill Marx W2CQ
President South Florida DX Association