Re: [RTTY] W1AW/x RTTY operations

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] W1AW/x RTTY operations
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:45:09 -0600
The ARRL is leaving it up to the clubs and organizations in the area to get people on. Coverage in Colorado is being handled by the DX and Contest club and at least one club that is more of a repeater club.

There is no application process to get on. Just a list of things that you need to do before getting on.

I can't tell you the number of cards I received from J6/W0MU on RTTY that were not in my log and I was sending both calls in the exchange. Even with the best intent there are no guarantees.

I understand what you are saying and I agree that if someone is getting on RTTY they should be up to the task. I can remember in the day some really bad DX peditions. We all had to play by their bad rules HI!

We probably do not know most of the ops in question to be quite honest. I don't know if the ARRL is publishing the schedules, times and ops. If they did we could identify those needing a bit of guidance.

I heard one RTTY Pileup that was crazy and the op never did go split.

If people are having issues when Colorado comes on in May please let me know and I will try to help out.

The response has been fantastic. I have no idea what their expectations were but I think there has been more interest than expected. We saw lots of posts about the DX clusters and spotting networks on how to eliminate the W1AW spots for those that had no interest and lots of posts about making sure that they got spotted.

Mike W0MU