Re: [RTTY] OT Computer Assistance

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] OT Computer Assistance
From: Phil Duff <na4m@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:22:33 +0000
Perhaps it's time to consider leaving the old parallel interface devices in favor of newer supported USB, Ethernet, and/or wireless interfaces.

Inkjet printers are available for less than $50 and laser printers for less than $100
that use USB and/or wireless connections.

There is good free open source (OpenOffice) word processing/spreadsheet/ etc. software that is supported for current major operating systems.

If the logging, rig or scanning software is unsupported on recent generation operating systems it's time to bite the bullet and consider upgrading to something that is. Newer decent logging software can import your log using an ADIF file.

Get a decent USB digital interface (microHAM, etc.) for digi modes.

There will be some short term pain to move forward. But your newer hardware and software should be supported for the foreseeable future without relying on outdated/unsupported legacy hardware/software.

Phil NA4M