[TenTec] CW Key Clicks and Filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Key Clicks and Filters
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:57:29 -0800 (PST)
W8JI deserves a lot of credit for drawing attention to
this serious problem.  Clicks are a function of the
rise and fall time of the trasmitted waveform, and
should therefore be independent of keying speed.

I have to take exception to W4BQF: "I seriously doubt
that there were very many contest stations generating
key clicks during the contest as most contesters are
pretty knowledgeable technically."

I don't know which contest is being referred to, but
key clicks were rampant on the bands in CQ WW and
they're caused by poor transmitter design, and not
poor operators or poor receivers.  Some rcvr filters
can emphasize the clicks, but if the clicks are being
transmitted you're going to receive them.

73,

Barry N1EU
www.albany.net/~bg