RE: [TenTec] FS: Paragon II corrected filter info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] FS: Paragon II corrected filter info
From: "Scott Prather" <sdprat@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:57:03 -0800
Whenever it comes up, I always find this argument interesting, especially
when it comes to the use of terminology that was in vogue for a long time
such as the case with "cycles".

There are many people who go out of their way to use the term "cycles" or
"kilocycles", etc. when describing frequency.  They wouldn't dream of using
Hertz or kiloHertz because Hertz doesn't mean anything tangible,  but
"cycles" does.  The problem is, "cycles" by itself is meaningless. Cycles
per what? second, minute, hour?  If everyone who insists on using the term
"cycles" always uses it in conjunction with a unit of time, then the term
has meaning.

Some folks will say, "well, everyone knows you are talking about cycles per
second when you say cycles".  That might be true, but the term Hertz already
means cycles/second, so everyone automatically knows what the units are.

Almost all electrical quantities are named for principals in electricity and
electronics.  Volts, Amps, and Ohms, the most basic quantities in
electronics, are but a few examples.  Believe me, you wouldn't want to be
asked to define what an ohm is without using a term that doesn't include
someone's name.

An ohm describes absolutely nothing about the quantity it represents, but we
don't think of it that way. Why should Hertz be any different? Just because
we used to say cycles?

Scott
N7NB