Re: [TenTec] Corsair II vs Omni VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II vs Omni VI+
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:19:57 -1000
When the DSP noise reduction is not being used, the Omni VI+ is analog. Yes, there is digital control of many things in the Omni VI, however the signal path from antenna input to headphone output is entirely analog unless you are using the DSP NR. PLL phase noise in the local oscillator might be called "digital noise", but it is really quite different from what happens when a signal gets digitized and processed digitally. The Omni VI is an analog radio with digital control systems, until you turn on the DSP NR.

DE N6KB

I've done the same "test" with my OMNI VI+ and Corsair II but also tried the major CW pile-ups 1-2 KHz from a weak DX station. It seemed to me (just earballing) that there were less Sum and Difference products from the strong stations in the pileup falling into the passband on the weak DX station with the Corsair II. But it may be I was only wanting the analog radio to outperform the digital one.