Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:23:58 -0600
Quoted from the Omni VI Plus manual.

"NOTE:  When operating the transmitter into an SWR higher than 2:1, adjust
the RF "PWR" control to a collector (Ic) current not to exceed 20 amps as
indicated on the front panel meter."

Now with that said, in looking at my Omni VI Plus operation into various
load conditions, I find that a 1:1 SWR and 90 watts output, the Ic current
is ~14 amps.  With a 100 ohm load, thus a 2:1 SWR the Ic is ~12 amps and
power output is 90 watts.  With a 25 ohm load, thus a 2:1 SWR the Ic is ~ 18
amps and power output is still 90 watts.  The point being a 2:1 SWR does not
tell you if you have a 100 ohm load or a 25 ohm load.  In my case, if the
load gets down to 12 ohms the Ic is 20+ amps and power output is still 90
watts  On the other side of the slope with a 200 ohm load, the SWR is 4:1
and power output is still 90 watts bit Ic is now only 10 amps.

Thus using a supply with unlimited current above 20 amps can be dangerous
unless you know your load Z and can control the power to such extent as not
to exceed 20 amps Ic.  It must be done either manually or automatically by
the power supply or some other fast acting current interrupt device.
Failure to do this will cause excessive investment in output transistors.

73
Bob, K4TAX