Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:56:59 EST
Amen Emil!

And if anyone wonders how good NR "could be,"  load ver 1.371 and give  a
listen.  That was the last time the NR in the Orion worked and it worked
really
well.  It was dramatic, almost squelch-like.

My O1 is just back from the factory so I assume it is properly adjusted and
up to specs.  It is considerably noisier than either my FT1000 Field  or the
FT2000 I played with at HRO even without any NR used in those  radios.  It
sounds to me like there is an intermediate stage where the gain  is set way too
high.  Reducing the RF gain controls and playing with the  threshold does not
improve the S/N ratio.  Reducing the Bandwidth helps  some but never comes
close
to the clear sounding note in the Yaesus.

Orion's strength is in the implementation of the roofing filters, not its
DSP.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA